Return to Krista's Korner

"Each of us must come to care about everyone else's children. We must recognize that the well being of our own children is intimately linked to the well being of all other people's children. After all, when one of our children needs life-saving surgery, someone else's child will perform it. When one of our children is harmed by violence, someone else's child will commit it. The good life for our own children can be secured only if it is also secured for all other people's children. But to work for the well being of all children is not just a practical matter-- it is also right!" - Lilian G. Katz, Phd.

Monday, November 21, 2005

Travelogue, Day 5

After posting on Day 4, I left to do some night time sightseeing on my own. It was a lot of fun. I got off the Metro at the wrong spot and ended up walking in an interesting part of DC by myself. I asked for directions to the nearest Metro station, and on my way there, found where I was supposed to be. I saw the mall by night, including the Washington Monument and the White House.

I had a snack at a CVS, and found out that Red Vines don't exist on the East Coast. From there, I returned to the hotel and had dinner. I met up with some of the group and we went to the dance and boogied on down.

The next morning, I got up, packed and walked to a Kinkos to ship my conference materials home. I checked my luggage and set off on the Metro to Arlington National Cemetary. It was a day of sober reflection and grief. I sat for quite a while at my grandmother's grave and talked to her. I brought my mom back a leaf that was sitting on top of the headstone.

After that, I went on a tour of DC. I stopped at the Lincoln Memorial and the Vietnam Memorial, then headed over to the Holocaust Musuem. Our problems in life are very petty in light of that experience. It left me awestruck and sober.

I had to rush back to the hotel to join the group and go to the airport. Usual airport experience, then we boarded. After boarding it was announced that the plane needed a part and we sat an extra hour and a half at the airport.

We made it home safe and sound and Chris picked me up at the airport. Today is back to the same old routine, except that my surgery was scheduled.

I will have it on December 2. I am very glad to be rid of the blasted thing and feel better. I feel like such an invalid at this point. It has been no fun at all.